Re: [xmca] varying definitions of perezhivanie

I fear that I may be responsible for causing confusion by introducing Vasilyuk's terms "inner world " and "outer world" without proper explanation. I will pick a few pages to scan over the weekend to give people a better idea.

In the meantime, I think it would be fair to say that he characterises "inner world" by commitment to one or many projects or "life relations." Such projects are perfectly objective, but of course the conception of them, the commitment to them, their value and meaning is personal. All social life is both subjective and objective. The outer world he characterises as "easy" or "difficult" according to whether the projects to which a person is committed face obstacles or disasters that originate independently of the subject. EG a person's "inner world" may be characterised by their love for their wife and the outer world is characterised by the fact that their wife has just died. The subject is faced with a psychologically impossible situation. It might be resolved in a number of ways, ....

So it's not the same as the "inner world" I think Simmel and Weber are talking about.

Andy

Greg Thompson wrote:
Further fleshing out "inner" and "outer," I came across these interesting
sources regarding Simmel's and Weber's take on inner and outer as a
historical development (Quoted directly from H. J. Jung's article in Ethos
(see refs below)):

"Georg Simmel noted 'psychologism' as 'the essence of modernity,' by which
he meant 'the experiencing and interpretation of the world in terms of the
reaction of our inner life and indeed as inner world' (as described in
Cronan 2009: 91). Max Weber also observed psychologism as a feature of his
time. By the famous metaphor of an iron cage, Weber (1997) made a poignant
critique of Western rationalism, and argued elsewhere that the 'culture of
feeling' and 'inwardness' arose as one response to the modern condition
(Scaff 1987: 743). In Weber's interpretation, the 'specific and peculiar
rationalism of Western culture' (1997: 26) generates the specific and
peculiar kind of response, psychologism. The cultural significance of
capitalism, therefore, lay in the 'cultural discontents of modernity'
(Scaff 1987:740)."

 Cronan, T. (2009). Georg Simmel’s Timeless Impressionism. *New German
Critique*, *36*(1 106), 83–101.

Jung, H. J. (2011). Why Be Authentic? Psychocultural Underpinnings of
Authenticity among Baby Boomers in the United States. *Ethos*, *39*(3),
279-299. doi:10.1111/j.1548-1352.2011.01194.x

Scaff, L. A. (1991). *Fleeing the iron cage: culture, politics, and
modernity in the thought of Max Weber*. Univ of California Pr.
Apparently a lot of folks were noticing this at the opening of the 19th
century.
All makes me wonder: what is life like without "inwardness"?
-greg