Re: [xmca] Interpreting Leontiev: functionalism and Anglo Finnish Insufficiences

I have written/spoken eslewhere and at length on R R Williams (as well as Robert Brandom, Axel Honneth and others) and I regard their postmodern interpretation of recognition-without-culture. I regard it as the main barrier to an understanding of CHAT or Hegel of our times.

Functionalism is interesting in the way you mentioned, in that it prefigured more contemporary currents which also do away with any centre of power but cast power as flowing through "capillaries" - a more radical conception of power-wthout-a-centre actually.

Andy

mike cole wrote:
Thanks for providing a link back to the Leontiev/functionalism discussion, Andy.

The links appear to go right through your home hegelian territory and link us up to current discussions of "recognition." They also link up with ideas linked to Zygmund Bauman's "Liquid Modernity." And to the many other people whose work
I know too little of.

With respect to functionalism, casting national aspersions aside :-)) , it never occurred to me during my years getting trained to be a learning theorist in the Skinnerian tradition, to consider the question of "where does the function come from" or "who is exerting power here?" We starved the rats and they ran or died. Or coerced sophomores using grades as "part of their education."

Then I went to Moscow. Where the caste of characters under discussion were my hosts. Like I said. I am a slow learner on all these complicated matters. At the rate I am going I am never going to figure it all out!

:-)
mike