Re: [xmca] Interpreting Leontiev: functionalism and Anglo Finnish Insufficiences

David, if you agree with the summary Larry has presented, I remain confused
by your analogy.  I read Larry's presentation of Kitching/Pleasant as
saying that action cobbles together further sense within already-given
sense that is simultaneously ideal-material, and therefore subject to
culturally and historically specific constraints and possibilities.  But
surely, this includes the bottle and the person too, both as moving
entities (the bottle, unless highly heated, a much more slowly moving
entity).  I am not invested in any particular reading of Leontiev, but your
analogy as presented suggests a kind of essential fixity to the person
which I want to believe you don't really mean.

To be fair, your emphasis is on the wine in the bottle.  But, in this case,
a slowly moving bottle is rather less interesting than a human being, with
a rather less historically complex relationship to the liquid it gives
shape to.

Does what Andy refer to help here?  What kind of concept-complex (is it
enough to call it Stalinism?) helps to explain the Leontiev at issue here?
 Or, if the critique was there from early on, what kind of concept-complex
would help to explain his writings' wide acceptance?

Or, do we forgo all this and just grab Leontiev, as you say, "on a good
day"?

Ivan