Re: [xmca] Current edition of Theory & Psychology

Yes, true.
Does Bauman's "liquid" work better? Liquids can be active, can dissolve,
can take shapes (like the mercurial Terminator of Terminator 3, a battle
between different forms of modernity, to be sure).

Here is one last challenge to the notion of projects in second modernity as
described by Ulrich Beck (which is here being described by Bauman):

"Perhaps if individual powers,
however feeble and impotent when single, are condensed into a
collective stand and action, things will be done j ointly which no
man or woman could dream of doing alone ? Perhaps . . . The snag
is, though, that such convergence and condensation of individual
grievances into shared interests and then into a joint action is a
daunting task, since the most common troubles of individuals-byfate
are these days non-additive. They are not amenable to 'summing
up' into a 'common cause' They may be put beside each
other, but they will not congeal. One may say that they are shaped
from the beginning in such a way as to lack the interfaces allowing
them to dovetail with other people's troubles."

Bauman and Beck's bugbear is individualization in modernity - the
difficulty that individuals have of being able to see themselves as holding
together as anything other than an individual (a different type of
liquidity, namely of grains of sand seems more apt than a simple "liquid").
On this account, individuals tend to see shared interests in terms of tools
for how to endure their own individual suffering (e.g., others have done
it, what can I learn from them?), rather than as a means for taking action.

Any thoughts on whether and/or how to address this?

-greg