Re: [xmca] Current edition of Theory & Psychology

Yes, Greg, the notion of Recognition demonstrated in Hegel's Philosophy of Right I fully embrace, particularly because it is realised through a concept of mediation, rather than as an alternative to mediation, as it is found in some modern writing. And yes, I see this idea as to be realised through the idea of the formation of collaborative projects, rather than "groups" and associations.

Andy

Greg Thompson wrote:
As for the centrifugal forces that hold these entities together (whether
you call them "systems of activity" or "projects"), I want to humbly add
the importance of the Hegelian notion of "recognition." It seems to me that
one of the critical functions of these entities is to provide recognition
for individuals - to consummate them (to use Bakhtin's language). With the
liquidity of identity that Ivan speaks of in modernity, it is these
entities that provide for the moments of recognition that hold together our
own selves as identities that can act agentively. And this is important.

In Philosophy of Right, Hegel introduces the idea and importance of
"corporations." These serve important functions of providing recognition (a
give and take between individual and group), but also practical matters
like distribution of resources and the development of individual's
abilities. Isn't this quite similar to what is behind the ideas being
discussed here? Andy?

Here is a quote from Hegel's Lectures on Philosophy of Right that speaks to
the obligations of wealthy in a "corporation" (really more of a "trade
union" or something like that, but def. not the "corporation" that we speak
of today):

“But in the corporation the individual has his true consciousness and here
he has a genuine noble opportunity to acquire honor. In the corporation the
corruption of wealth is set aside…. In the corporation wealth is no longer
an end in itself. He has duties in this circle…. Here he becomes something
through the way he applies his wealth for the sake of his cooperative
association.”
H has much more to say about the importance of recognition for the poor as
well due to their obligations to the corporation (whether or not this is
built into the collaboration between TCLC and UCSD is a difficult thing to
address. I think the families at TCLC have obligations to TCLC but their
obligations and gift-giving to UCSD are not clear - this despite Mike's
insistence upon them to the UCSD audience! The apparent (to most)
one-sidedness of this kind of gift-giving creates a one sided moment of
recognition where UCSD always has the upper hand (see M. Mauss on "no free
gifts").

All of this speaks to an important issue in the U.S., namely the Grand
Canyon that exists between rich and poor. The critical question in the U.S.
is: where will such "corporations" come from? Where can the rich and poor
cooperatively come together in a land that is literally structured by
income - where how much you make determines where you live? Communities
here are de facto segregated by income. (yes, there are some exceptions to
this rule).

I think the TCLC partnership provides a means for this kind of (temporary)
creation of community (corporation) that crosses income lines.
Unfortunately, most of what makes up the "corporation", i.e., the
undergrads, is rather fleeting. Twice a week for 10 weeks in and out. And
folks at LCHC are clearly concerned about the value of this for the TCLC
kids. It is sometimes hard not to think that the undergrads get more out of
those 10 weeks than the TCLC kids do. But, even if this is the case, it is
eye opening for those often privileged undergrads. And it is hard to
imagine anywhere in the U.S. where the building of cross-income
corporations is being done any better (Occupy Wall Street has very mixed
results in this regard, For a critique of the middle-class white elitism of
OWS, see: http://www.voxunion.com/?p=4592).

-greg