Re: [xmca] Current edition of Theory & Psychology

Hi Mike.

Harry has worked with his hybrid in interagency work.

Daniels, H., 2010. Subject position and identity in changing
workplaces. In: Singh, P., Sadovnik, A. and Semel, S., eds. Toolkits,
Translation Devices and Conceptual Accounts: Essays on Basil
Bernstein's Sociology of Knowledge. New York: Peter Lang, pp. 103-120.

See page 103.

http://books.google.com/books?id=nWaAYLiS6SUC&lpg=PA2&ots=jlYsX4S4vL&dq=Toolkits%2C%20Translation%20Devices%20and%20Conceptual%20Accounts%3A%20Essays%20on%20Basil%20Bernstein%27s%20Sociology%20of%20Knowledge&pg=PA103#v=onepage&q=Subject%20position&f=false

In the same book, have a look at Gamble's chapter.

And,

Gamble J. 2009b. Knowledge and identity in the mobile workplace. In M.
Weil, L Koski & L. Mjelde (Eds.). Knowing work: the social relations
of working and knowing. Bern: Peter Lang. 51-75.

At least two examples of applications of Bernstein's code theory
outside formal schooling.

Best

Arturo

On 14 November 2011 02:26, mike cole <lchcmike@gmail.com> wrote:
> This discussion is very helpful for us at LCHC where, you can be sure, the
> issues raised by Arturo are much discussed.
>
> Our lab meetings are on Tuesdays from 10:30-12:00 PST (California) time.
> For sure we will be discussing this issue this week because two PhD theses
> have linkages to
> more "macro" levels of analysis as constituents.
>
> We currently experience these matters intensely in all parts of our work.
> Institutionally our University says it wants diversity but has a "business
> model" that makes work such as we do difficult to arrange, difficult to
> sustain. Our University is being rapidly privatized. Our state budget is
> aiming an axe at poor people. We work in subsidized housing. Its ALL there.
>
> But the logic of our work demands our ongoing, day to day, interaction with
> the people among whom we work over years. So our analyses of the larger
> context to which Arturo quite justifiably points remain mainly in our local
> discussions.
>
> I have been arguing for some time that this entire line of research
> REQUIRES  inter-institutional collaborations of a high order, of the order
> of a *co-laboratory*. Careful documentation as well as co-constructive
> program development are everywhere, but our flashlight has a narrow beam
> and its kinda dim too.
>
> Still, there are positive examples.  One that has my attention as an
> example.
>
> Kris Gutierrez, Bill Penuel, and others at Colorado have a very interesting
> set of activities going and they have actually put a person on their
> team who job it is to collect data at the institutional and
> institutional/socio-political.
>
> We need the applications of a methodology that genuinely allows us to tract
> interweavings across levels *in addition to *the more micro-levels at which
> we are able to engage with sufficient density of interaction to make
> scholarly publication possible.
>
> In short, Andy and Arturo, what is to be done? Not a new question in this
> discourse.
>
> On Sat, Nov 12, 2011 at 9:28 PM, Andy Blunden <ablunden@mira.net> wrote:
>
>> On your first point Arturo. I think you make valid points in relation to
>> Yrjo's and Mike's articles. Jaakko Virkkunen tried to go further and
>> introduce a broad consideration of the wider social and historical context,
>> and I found the effort laughable and abandoned reading his article after a
>> few pages. I appreciated the insights in Yrjo's theoretical section, which
>> I shared earlier, but as you say, it is all based on the fact that
>> management has already invited him in as an expert with a brief to
>> facilitate change. Like Steve Gabosch, I have been through a number of
>> these exercises as an employee and the supposed "empowerment" of employees
>> these guys go on about is a charade. I am sure Yrjo is not like any of
>> those I experienced, but my own interest comes from  experiences in
> [...]

Arturo J Escandon
Associate Professor
Department of Spanish and Latin-American Studies
Nanzan University
18 Yamazato-cho, Showa-ku
Nagoya, 466-8673 JAPAN

Tel: +81 (52) 832 3111 (extension 3604)