[xmca] Call For Applications: Asst. Professor of Education at Ithaca College

Dear Colleague:
The Ithaca College Department of Education is excited to invite applications for a tenure-track Assistant Professor of Education, a position that begins August 2012.  We are a collaborative and expanding department, housed in the School of Humanities and Sciences, and seek a colleague to teach in our elementary and secondary education programs, conduct scholarship, and contribute collaborative service to the department, institution, community, and profession. Our position announcement is pasted below and attached, and we hope you will forward to contacts you believe would be interested in joining a group of passionate, scholarly, and reflective colleagues committed to equity, diversity, and social justice in teacher education.
Many thanks for sharing,
Jeane Copenhaver-Johnson, Chair

Assistant Professor

Department of Education

School of Humanities & Sciences

The Ithaca College Education Department invites applications for a full-time, tenure-eligible Assistant Professor position. We seek a teacher educator whose primary focus is elementary education to become part of a passionate, collaborative, and growing department.  Candidates with experience teaching elementary science methods and other courses in elementary and/or secondary teacher education are especially encouraged to apply.  This position begins August 16, 2012, and involves teaching a diverse selection of courses in elementary and secondary education at the graduate and undergraduate levels, supervising student teachers, conducting research, and participating in service to the department, campus, community, and profession.  We especially seek a collaborative, creative colleague with a deep commitment to diversity, equity, and innovative practice in education, consistent with our department's mission.  We are an expanding department, located in the School of Humanities and Sciences, with teacher certification programs at the undergraduate level in secondary education and at the Masters level in secondary and elementary education. We also offer courses for students in other teacher education programs on campus and for students with an interest in the study of education as a social science.  Ithaca College continually strives to build an inclusive and welcoming community of individuals, with diverse talents and skills from a multitude of backgrounds, who are committed to civility, mutual respect, social justice, and the free and open exchange of ideas.  Successful candidates will demonstrate an ability to teach in ways that value the varied learning needs and interests of a culturally diverse student population and that reflect a commitment to encouraging the success of all students.  Qualifications:  Earned doctorate in education, curriculum and instruction, or a related field; teacher education experience; a record of (or potential for) scholarly activity; experience teaching in U.S. elementary schools; and demonstrated experience addressing issues of diversity and equity in education.  Ithaca College, a comprehensive residential campus community of 7000 students, offers a learning experience that combines the best of the liberal arts and professional education. Our new strategic plan IC 20/20 positions us to offer a truly distinct integrative learning experience that allows us to graduate students who are ready for the personal, professional, and global challenges of our age. We seek candidates who embrace integrative learning and want to be a part of this exciting time in Ithaca College history.  Nestled in the heart of New York State's scenic Finger Lakes region, Ithaca College sits atop South Hill overlooking picturesque Cayuga Lake and is just minutes away from the city center. Combining small town warmth and charm with the vibrancy of a college community, the thriving and culturally diverse city of Ithaca has been rated by Kiplinger's as one of the top 10 places to live in the U.S. To learn more about Ithaca College, visit us at www.ithaca.edu.  Interested individuals should apply online at www.icjobs.org and attach the requested documents.  Questions about the online application should be directed to the Office of Human Resources at (607) 274‑8000. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position has been filled.
Ithaca College is committed to building a diverse academic community and encourages members of underrepresented groups to apply.  Experience that contributes to the diversity of the college is appreciated.