Re: [xmca] schools-without-computers-by-choice-and-conviction-that-they-dont-help-kids

I'll skip over the thick questions of language, representation, and
epistemology, or of the "fantastic" nature of all things social (which you
didn't exactly address in your response). Instead, I'll just cut to the
chase.

Taking Willis' book as an example (and he is more or less repeating the
argument of Bourdieu and of Marx - so you don't really need to be familiar
with the book to know the argument - the working class man (sic!) has false
consciousness about the conditions of his existence and the enlightened
intellectual will lead him to the light.

In Willis' case, he speaks of the lads inability to see the "real" nature
of their existence and their reproduction of social class, but have only
partial "penetrations" into that reality. It is Willis who apparently has
the necessary ability to "penetrate" that reality (and I should add that I
am a huge fan of this book - it remains one of the best out there on the
reproduction of class).

All I'm saying is that it is worth acknowledging the hard empirical,
theoretical, (statistical?), inductive and deductive knowledge that these
working class kids have. But it is knowledge FOR a particular task of
"getting by" (just like the enlightened intellectual's knowledge is good
for addressing questions on a larger scale). The lads' ability to "have a
laff" is important and complex kind of knowledge. It speaks to a hard
reality that exists just as much as something like "class" exists (these
are the kinds of fantasies that I was pointing to in my last email, but
I'll let that go and assume for the purposes of this email they are real).
The privileging of one over the other seems to me to be rather unfortunate
(some folks call this "symbolic violence" - I'm not disposed to go that
far).

This is an old conversation so I don't suspect that I'll get anywhere with
it here. But it has been good to think through it with you.

Best,
greg