Re: [xmca] schools-without-computers-by-choice-and-conviction-that-they-dont-help-kids

On 27 October 2011 22:14, Huw Lloyd <huw.softdesigns@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 27 October 2011 20:56, Huw Lloyd <huw.softdesigns@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On 27 October 2011 20:47, Greg Thompson <greg.a.thompson@gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Huw,
>>> Is reality really something to be "penetrated."
>>> -greg
>>>

>> If you wish to get from one side of a city to another, there are finite
>> ways of doing so using conventional transport.  If you wish to articulate
>> that intention in terms of a particular route, you will have to mentally
>> penetrate the fog of obstacles from A to B prior to an accurate
>> articulation.  Does 'penetrating to reality' sound better?  Hopefully the
>> gist is clear.
>>

> ... but that also the intention successfully acted upon is a change and
> thereby a form of penetrating reality.

I thought this loose-end might be helpful.  Bourdieu, in 'Distinction'
p387, expressed this aspect:

"What the relation to 'mass' (and, a fortiori, 'elite') cultural products
reproduces, reactivates and reinforces is not the monotony of the
production line or office but social relation which underlies working-class
experience of the world, whereby his labour and the product of his labour,
opus proprium, present themselves to the worker as opus alienum,
'alienated' labour.

i.e. the difference between a participatory, intentionally influential
relation and a passive one.

Huw