Re: [xmca] schools-without-computers-by-choice-and-conviction-that-they-dont-help-kids

On 13 November 2011 00:40, Greg Thompson <greg.a.thompson@gmail.com> wrote:

> What is there in social life that we can talk about that is not "fantasy"?

Knowledge.  Empirical, theoretical, statistical, inductive and deductive...

> And, connecting to the other thread, is "alienation" fantasy? (maybe more
> of a phantasmagoria? (to play with Marx's camera obscura metaphor a bit)).

I'd say no.  Though we can see how one can encourage the other.

> -greg
> p.s. for those interested in what I'm after here, I'm trying to cut a path
> between Marx's humanism and Max Stirner's nihilism - to recognize the
> importance of "fantasy" (something that seems to have no place in Marx's
> thinking) without falling into a subjective idealism (where Stirner ends
> up). Walking a razor's edge?

I'd say it was the contents of the thinking that make it fantasy.  The
psychological process, tempered with a willingness to check/try out ones
ideas, can be fruitful and is not necessarily something I'd classify as
fantasy.

Huw