Re: [xmca]schools-without-computers-by-choice-and-conviction-that-they-dont-help-kids

Not so native to the US. Meet the intellectual drive behind
neoliberalism in the UK and the US, Friedrich Hayek.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friedrich_Hayek

Best.

Arturo

On 31 October 2011 09:45, Andy Blunden <ablunden@mira.net> wrote:
> C'mon Huw! :) "Neo-liberal" is an extremely common term in public discourse
> here in Australia. Of course I can't answer for the US, even though the
> ideas arrived here from the US. Here's the Wikipedia entry:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neoliberalism which shows its specific meanings
> in a number of different countries. I would say that the term came in in the
> wake of the failure of both Keynes and Milton Friedman, though the notion is
> very sympathetic to Milton Friedman's ideology, but not so closely
> associated with control of the macro-economic levers by central government.
> Part of the difficulty of accepting the term in the US may be the use of
> "liberal" as a term of abuse by those who are in fact "neo-liberals". The
> ideas are native to the US but the choice of word is somewhat "un-American."
> :)
>
> Andy
>
> Huw Lloyd wrote:
>>
>> On 30 October 2011 23:57, Michael Glassman <MGlassman@ehe.osu.edu> wrote:
>>

>>> Hi Huw.
>>>
>>> Neo-liberal has almost nothing to do with traditional definitions of
>>> liberal.  There is a long and convoluted history to the term.  I might
>>> suggest Naomi Klein's book for a good definition if you are interested.
>>>

>> That it explains why I didn't know it.  It disqualifies itself.
>>
>> Huw
>>

>>> Michael
>>>
>>> ________________________________

Arturo J Escandon
Associate Professor
Department of Spanish and Latin-American Studies
Nanzan University
18 Yamazato-cho, Showa-ku
Nagoya, 466-8673 JAPAN

Tel: +81 (52) 832 3111 (extension 3604)