Re: [xmca]schools-without-computers-by-choice-and-conviction-that-they-dont-help-kids

On 30 October 2011 22:26, Michael Glassman <MGlassman@ehe.osu.edu> wrote:

> Hi Huw,
>
> My difficulty with the Gates Foundation is similar to many of the
> corporate sponsors pouring money into foundations in attempts to influence
> education policy.  The worst among them is probably the Broad Foundation
> which I believe has been highly detrimental in the corporate administrators
> that they are training and then bribing impoverished school districts (with
> tip money to them) to put them in power.  I think they've been failures
> everywhere, but of course when you have backers like that you fail upwards.
>
> Anyway I see many of these "foundations" as attempting to instill a strong
> neo-liberal ideology in our schools.  It is part of Naomi Klein's "Shock
> Doctrine."  These foundations are turning our school systems into the Chile
> of 2011.

Hi Michael,

The connotations of the term 'liberal' in the uk are mostly positive, for
instance of seeking to go beyond symptoms, such as tolerating anti-social
behaviour in favour of the promise of a more permanent and significant
improvement (i.e. transformation rather than containment).   The other side
of the coin is the notion of putting "well meaning" before realistic, or
practical, implementation.

Does "neo" in the political stream connote "watered down"?  As opposed to
its use in philosophy such as Neoplatonism.

> Sorry for the rant, but this is one of my many peeves (so many I can't
> even claim they are pets anymore).

Maybe you could start a peeve hive?  :)

Huw