Re: [xmca] Ceci n'est pas un dollar

Larry and Rod and Tony and...,
Not familiar with Hyde, but it sounds like he is riffing on the classic
anthropological work by Marcel Mauss, The Gift. Mauss' central point is that
gifts are a critical social glue for society because they create
relationships of reciprocity. (and this is why the gift is also to be
feared, and he does some lovely work showing how the etymology
of gift is linked in many languages with notions of "poison").

I only skimmed a little but I think that what Graeber is pointing to is the
way in which "debt" is different from the social "indebtedness" precisely
because the social bond aspect of debt is no longer there. Companies and
people run up debts with no sense of honor or shame in letting go of those
debts (e.g., corporations that are fiscally irresponsible and then
require bailouts or people with mortgages they can't pay that require
bailouts - both are willing to walk away from their debts without a sense of
shame).

To put it another way, whereas Mauss noted that there are no free gifts, it
seems that Graeber is pointing to a way in which today we do imagine free
gifts - things received for which we do not need to reciprocate. No more
karmic balance, no need to pay it forward, just free money. In a Marx to
Mauss argument, we might point to capitalism as the thing that liberates us
as free individuals from these social obligations. A liberation which has a
good side (the breaking down of barriers between people - Marx's Chinese
walls) but also a terrible side (the erasure of any knowledge of the role of
social and collective forces in our lives, and thus an utter lack of
indebtedness).

Larry, as to the way that you put the concern with value, I think that the
similarities of the dollar bill in your hand and in your head come not so
much in the form of indebtedness, but rather in the way in which both of
these things get their "value" from "the social." That is, the value of the
dollar depends completely on it's relationship with other dollar bills and
thus with commodities that can be purchased (including common stock,
insurance derivatives, etc.). This relationship is fundamentally social. A
favorite quote from Marx might help:

"The form of wood, for instance, is altered, by making a table out of it.
Yet, for all that, the table continues to be that common, every-day thing,
wood. But, so soon as it steps forth as a commodity, it is changed into
something transcendent. It not only stands with its feet on the ground, but,
in relation to all other commodities, it stands on its head, and evolves out
of its wooden brain grotesque ideas, far more wonderful than "table-turning"
ever was."
Now consider the word. We might say: "The form of the sound, for instance,
is altered, by putting multiple sounds together. Yet, for all that,
the sound continues to be that common every-day thing, a sound. But, so soon
as it steps forth as a word, it is changed into something transcendent. It
not only stands as a vibration on our tympanic membrane, but, in relation to
other words, it stands on its head, and evolves out if its sonorous brain
grotesque ideas, far more wonderful than "noise" ever was."

Okay, I took some liberties there, but hopefully it makes the point about
the parallel between the "value" of the commodity and the "value" of the
sign (and Saussure certainly read Marx, and by many accounts he was heavily
influenced by Marx).

The point is that their "value" comes from the social, but I don't think
that we experience a sense of indebtedness to our community for the language
that we speak (although one could certainly argue that we should). But this
is a different point from Graeber's, I think.

-greg

Gregory A. Thompson, Ph.D.
Sanford I. Berman Post-Doctoral Scholar
Department of Communication