Re: [xmca] Cultural memory

Yes, I think I see. I just have a hard time on the split between material
artifacts and language. You've made that argument before and while I
understand the distinction from an emic perpective, I also that it is not
very useful when making arguments about social mediation. The sign is like a
material artifact in that it is of social origins and it allows us to do
something that we might not otherwise be able to do.

To make this point and as one more suggestion to try with your protagonist,
why not try the phylogenetic argument. Two examples work well here. Consider
the first use of a arrow or spear and how that transformed all of mankind
not simply by making it easier to get food but by creating a diet that had
higher amounts of fat, this created opportunities for the human body to
evolve (over generations of generations) in new ways (this is a dialectic
argument pushed across a great many years - the ability to use the tool
created new evolutionary possibilities). Second, consider the use of
language as a tool and how this transforms the hunt such that people can
coordinate their attacks in much more complex ways (although it should be
said that many animals do pretty complex coordinated attacks when hunting,
everything from hyenas to whales - but it seems like there is something
about planning and foresight that humans can do that dogs can't, but maybe
this will be another sticking point).

So the idea is to try the argument of human language vs. non-human language.
What does having human language "get" you in some larger sense. It seems
critical in order to be able to do all the things that we do that
distinguish us from animals, no? Buildings, commerce, technology, etc. - all
turns on our ability to use language humanly. And the fact that we have
the available time that we do (as well as the ability to instantly
communicate around the globe - Hello Australia!) also makes it possible for
us to engage with each other in ways that we could not otherwise.

But, as you see, I've offered little in the way of material artifacts (the
arrowhead). This is because I see the important point being one that
involves social mediation and certainly materials are needed, but it seems
to me to be too easy to pick apart the material argument because you can
always substitute other material artifacts. What you can't substitute is the
social nature of the artifacts being used. And language makes that argument
best. Two questions strike the heart of the matter here: Who would you be
without language? Where does language come from?

Curious to hear your thoughts, esp. re: the material/language split (e.g.,
isn't language "material" in exactly the same way as the material artifact?
Or is language somehow "immaterial"?)
-greg