Re: [xmca] Al Andalus as a model for *{ }*

Hi Mike,
For those of us who have only joined XCMA in the last year or two. can you
repost the distributed, "virtual course
syllabus" ?
Thanks so much!
Robert Lake

On Sat, Oct 1, 2011 at 4:03 PM, mike cole <lchcmike@gmail.com> wrote:

> As a serendipitous footnote. I was looking for a book on my shelves and
> came
> across
> Manicus a history and philosophy of the social sciences. Where had I seen
> this before?
>
> xmca I thought.
>
> I googled Manicus on lchc and sure enough, came up with the following
> fragment from an earlier discussion:
>
> An interesting tip from a colleague.
> mike
> -------------------
>
> "...a kind of historically oriented unified social science with
> overlapping,
> non-discrete, connected concerns."
>
> In: Peter T. Manicas, "A", page 214.
>

> Spelling that out a little more vis a vis inter-tradition-mashups it comes
> in a chapter on the americanization of social sciences and the way in which
> its founders selectively appropriated what they had learned.
>

> "They were German.... in thinking of *Geisteswissenschaft *as a kind of
> historically oriented unified social science with overlapping,
> non-discrete,
> connected concerns.:
>
> A rhyzhome, a fungle entanglement....??
>
> Certainly descriptive of the situation that we find ourselves in, although
> believe we are witnessing a variety of reinventions of the humane sciences
> of the 19th century.
>
> mike
> On Sat, Oct 1, 2011 at 12:39 PM, mike cole <lchcmike@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Both Larry and Christine.
> >
> > I have continued thinking about ways to make clearer affinities across
> > traditions/
> > discourse communities. I have thought of two ideas with respect to the
> > recent interchanges.
> >
> > 1. Do you think that it is possible to write up a journal-length paper
> that
> > summarizes
> > your takes on the synergisms among traditions that you see? Quite apart
> > from
> > interest in MCA, this sort of topic should fit with the new Valsiner
> > journal on integrative psychological and behavioral sciences. Two
> potential
> > places to get it out.
> >
> > and/or
> >
> > 2. Might it be possible to put together a "distributed, virtual course
> > syllabus" of the sort that we did a few years ago on Vygotsky & Co. on
> xmca?
> >
> > Either could be very helpful.
> >
> > And while you are at it, what does it take to get serious discussion
> going
> > with the
> > social representation folks out there in xmca-land? (I am reminded
> because
> > I am
> > using some materials by Sandra Jovchelovich in my current grad seminar)?
> >
> > Thanks for passing along Rene's intro, Larry. The integration of art into
> > our conversations in recent years, along with performance and play,
> [...]

*Robert Lake  Ed.D.
*Assistant Professor
Social Foundations of Education
Dept. of Curriculum, Foundations, and Reading
Georgia Southern University
P. O. Box 8144
Phone: (912) 478-5125
Fax: (912) 478-5382
Statesboro, GA  30460

 *Democracy must be born anew in every generation, and education is its
midwife.*
*-*John Dewey.