Re: [xmca] Living metaphor and conventionalized language

Martin

I want to vote for your "reading" of Vygotsky pointing to "sublation", not
"internalization". As you say, it is a very tough ontology to shake.  I
suspect similar to not believing in God during the middle ages in Europe.
The central theme I've struggled to come to grips with is the place of
"other" in self development.  How central  is "other" to our concepts
of  development as historical AND emergent  I've just read Ingol's 1999
paper on education "as attention" not "transmission". As I read Ingold he
is "showing" us a similar perspective. [I would recommend going to the
"papers for discussion" section of XMCA to read the article.] John Shotter's
writings emphasize "noticing" as central to development.  Merleau-Ponty's
notion of "expression" also points in this direction.  What all these
perspectives share [in my readings] is the centrality of movement TOWARDS
others as fundamental for development.  However, this movement toward others
REQUIRES a response by other in order for development to occur.  But this
response must be of a particular quality. It MUST BE A MARKED RESPONSE and
registered as both recognizing AND SHOWING the person moving towards the
other ways to move in the world. [As Ingold says SHOW how to navigate
TASKscapes]

Martin, you highlight the moment when the child shifts from "other-directed"
to "self-directed" at the stage of egocentric speech. This movement you
emphasize is transformative.
I want to suggest another transformative moment and that is in the first
year of life when the infant's gestures become purposeful [meaningful??] as
a way to ENGAGE or ATTUNE to the attachment figure and generating in other
what I call an intersubjective response.  My grand daughter may have
randomly pointed in my direction in the first few months of life. However by
10 months of age WE had developed a purposeful ritual where every time I
enter a room she points in my direction, I respond with a return pointing
[and great delight] and WE have MADE A CONNECTION which I believe IS
KNOWLEDGE [but not information]  This KNOWLEDGE is "other-directed" but I
think it is a momentous trnasformation and a central developmental "turning
point"  [see Rod Parker's comments in this post]

Now I'm biased to think becoming "other-directed" continues to be a central
aspect of development.  "self-mastery may also be central as an aspect  of
agency but I'm biased to believe self-mastery continues to be intertwined
with being other directed.  The term "complementary" may capture this
intertwining. It is only in our pre-occupation with the encapsulated self
that we loose sight of the centrality of other for development.

Martin, your exploring sublation as a concept that explores moving from
being "in itself" to being "for itself" THROUGH OTHERS is I believe the key
to understanding this particular aspect of consciousness.  This is NOT a
linquistic movement [IN language].  It is IN our SHOWING [Merleau-Ponty]
NOTICING [John Shotter] developing SKILL [Ingold] as INTRA-ACTIVITY [Karen
Barad]. Development   IS "the movement" of intra-activity, Development
IS the relational dance as the source FROM which subjectivity and identity
emerge .

Bradford Keeney [who studied with Bateson] used the metaphor of a chamelion
which looks AS IF it is THE SAME colour as its surroundings, but in actual
fact is DYNAMICALLY STABLE through constantly "reading" the environment and
adjusting its colour "movement" as an INTRA-active structuring.  The
chamelion is using PAST moments of the colour environment to GUIDE its
ANTICIPATION of potential colour arrangements creating colour stability and
structure [through its "monitoring its context]. Where is the BOUNDARY of
this  activity.  The chamelions "brain" and "knowledge" is withIN the
INTRA-activity and FROM THAT MOVEMENT "fuzzy" [not distinct] boundaries
EMERGE and allow us to "perceive" the chamelions colour AS IF it was stable.

Now a chamelion is an organism-environment metaphor but does capture the
centrality of MOVEMENT TOWARD the environment as INTRA-activity.
[Merleau-Ponty]  When an infant's movements are MARKED [by other] THAT is
the possible moment of  human consciousness [or at least a "type" of
consciousness which John Shotter calls con-scientia as KNOWING with].

What happens to con-scientia in the movement FROM "in itself" TO
"for-itself" THROUGH others. What happens to con-scientia when inner speech
develops.  What happens to  con-scientia when speech becomes ABBREVIATED.
John Shotter's article in the "papers for discussion, 2011]" takes Bakhtin's
insights of utterances as being used TO MOVE others as an answer to deepen
our understanding of knowledge and cognition  withIN intra-activity AS
FUNDAMENTALLY continuing to be con-scientia.  How particularly con-scientia
is sublated is an open question?

Larry