Re: [xmca] Living metaphor and conventionalized language

Larry, David...

I don't like the word "internalization" because I can't see that anything internal is involved! As LSV put it:

“Consciousness does not occur as a specific category, as a specific mode of being. It proves to be a very complex structure of behaviour”

David Bakhurst describes well the 'radical realism' those guys were developing:

"Thought is conceived not as a barrier or interface between the self and the world beyond the mind, but as the means by which the individual enters into immediate cognitive contact with the material world. Thought, the mode of activity of the socially defined subject, reaches right out to reality itself" (1991, p. 261)

If the "inner" is out there in the "outer," we've got the metaphors wrong, IMHO.

Martin