Re: [xmca] Living metaphor and conventionalized language

Dear Rob:

Thanks for the kind words, and above all for the Wallace Stevens, neither fragment of which I knew, but whose rather self-defeating sentiments I am very fond of (for reasons that actually do have something to do with the reasons that I will probably never be able to unload any of this stuff in the Journal of Aesthetic Education or any other peer-reviewed journal).

I like to think of Stevens as the greatest insurance agent who every wrote poetry about it. Insurance companies make money by betting with you that you are wrong when you wake up in the night and imagine that something absolutely catastrophic is going to happen to you in the morning.

But what happens when an insurance company issues a fire policy on its own headquarters? In both fragments you cite, Stevens picks up where Blake leaves off:

Mock on, mock on, Voltaire, Rousseau;
Mock on, mock on; 'tis all in vain!
You throw the sand against the wind,
And the wind blows it back again.

And every sand becomes a gem
Reflected in the beams divine;
Blown back they blind the mocking eye,
But still in Israel's paths they shine.

The Atoms of Democritus
And Newton's Particles of Light
Are sands upon the Red Sea shore,
Where Israel's tents do shine so bright.

Blake would never bother to take out life insurance on Israel's paths and tents; he believes in their eternal life, and he looks forward, gleefully, to collecting on Voltaire and Rousseau.

I think Stevens is not so sure. When we read "Anecdote of a Jar" or "The Idea of Order"  we can see that he believes that any human artefact imposes reasons and a kind of order in the place of chaotic nature.

The way a Tibetan woman dresses, as she walks "korla" around the Jokhang Temple in Lhasa, imposes a clockwork regularity on the whole of existence. Vygotsky? Oh, I think there is no question about it. He would have bet with Voltaire and Rousseau against Israel's paths and tents (probably wearing a square hat or some kind of phylacteries).

There is a good defense of Vygotsky's rationalism in Bakhurst's article "Vygotsky's Demons" (in the Cambridge Companion), and I agree with it. The only really rationalist demon that Bakhurst refuses to defend is the one that troubles Mike from time to time, the idea that cultures must be said to be different, and that some of them must be said to be more developed than others.

Actually, even this seems defensible to me, but we have to face the fact that "we" will probably belong to the senescent, post-development others rather than to the most developed. Take, for example, the crudest possible quantitative measure of a "developed" society, namely the average life expectancy it offers to its newborn children. In China, the average life expectancy in Tibet (at least in the rural areas) is in the thirties and forties, while the rest of the country has easily twice that.

Life expectancy fell when Russia re-established capitalism, and of course it is falling in the USA, and it seems to me this too suggests something about their changing level of social and cultural development. So on the one hand, development is real, substantial, and it does apply not just to individual lives but also to those of cultures and societies. And on other, unlike individual development, it can really never said to be over and therefore there can't be any absolute sense in which any race has won the race.

I think Stevens would have felt the contradiction between those two statements, but Vygotsky would have been able to explain it. Wearing a sombrero!

David Kellogg