Re: [xmca] FW: vygotsky in perspective

Thanks a LOT, Ivo. Very interesting.

Could you help out with your final comment, because I really do not know to
whom you are referring when you write:

Written right at the end of his life, this text presents a number of new
ideas that do not fit comfortably into the standard Vygotsky mould. Here he
pushes back further and deeper into the innermost functions of the human
mind and
makes provision for developmental processes that originate and move from
the inside to the outside. This may be a message that some contemporary
Vygotsky spokespersons would prefer to overlook.

Could you please indicate who the spokespersons are and provide us some
references to help us fill out our understanding? Is this Norris Minnick?
I ask because what struck me in the footnote was a kind of echo of people
like John Lucy, who was also a close colleague of Jim Wertsch; the echo
I hear is the dialogue with Whorf.

I interpret Vygotsky's use of the metaphor of e-vapor-ation in light of
recent reading
I have been doing of William James and the pragramatists in the book, *The
Metaphysical Club, *as well as  Tim Ingold using both Merleau-Ponty and
Gibson (Seems like a lot of people interested in M-P these days, I sure am).
In "that context" the image that came to my mind was the environmental flow
associated with movement (In Ingold/Gibson) or the stream of consciousness
metaphor that James
uses.

I am guessing that what the editors might have been doing was preserving
some
vestige of sense, some vesiges of "pattern in the flow" that bespeaks the
presence
of the word.

So, which spokespeople should we interrogate? Who might be made uneasy by
such a discussion and why?

mike