Re: [xmca] fetishism | word meaning

On Tue, 26 Apr 2011, Martin Packer wrote:

Second, word-meaning is not to be confused with the objective reference, the object referred to. This too is a common mistake that LSV wants us to avoid. LSV turns to Frege to draw this distinction. But his word-meaning is not the same as Frege's 'sense,' because the latter is supposed to be objective and unchanging (though how Frege considered the sense of the 'The victor at Jena' to be timeless I really don't know! What status did it have before 1806? There's actually a literature on this very issue.)

A word is dead
      When it is said
    Some say.
 I say it just
 Begins to live
   That day.

       --Emily Dickinson

I find it helpful to think of meaning as something that words do -- not something they contain, convey, etc.

Tony Whitson
UD School of Education
NEWARK  DE  19716

twhitson@udel.edu