Re: [xmca] sense and sensibility

Thanks for this quote, Martin. It could mean something not too far from my own thesis, expressed in my Feeling & Meaning work, and very coarsely summarized in my previous reply to David K. Semiotics does, I think, give us an alternative to mentalist notions of concepts and cognitive processes, provided that we take, as Morris seems to say, embodied experience and material interactivity as the root of symbols-for-us. Of course this has to be done in such a way that the Us plays its important role in relation to the Me, and with a developing repertoire of kinds of semiotic relations and kinds of signifiers. As I recall, Morris sticks to just Icons, Indexes, and Symbols, but that may be enough to at least sketch something like the ladder we climb, with a lot of help from our friends.

JAY.

Jay Lemke
Senior Research Scientist
Laboratory for Comparative Human Cognition
University of California - San Diego
9500 Gilman Drive
La Jolla, California 92093-0506

Professor (Adjunct status 2009-11)