Re: [xmca] activity (was concepts)

On 19 April 2011 17:00, mike cole <lchcmike@gmail.com> wrote:

> Huw et al --
>
> I am getting really confused by the course of this conversation. I am
> sitting here typing, experiencing, reflecting, feeling my aching back, the
> murmer of the crowd
> on the street outside.
>
> These are all activities a la the present conversation? Are we crossing
> everyday and technical/scientific/discourse-specific concepts?

Hi Mike,

The response I provided was to the question "How do I conceive of activity"
and, indirectly, "what on earth is your conception of epistemology?"

As noted, cybernetics comes with baggage.  "Systems theory" is perhaps more
harmonious, although potentially less rigorous once it slides into systems
thinking etc.

The main point is self-regulating systems and activity as this
regulation/prediction etc.  Variety is also appropriate to social modelling
too, I believe.  I personally see plenty of overlap between Vygotskian
theory, the text given below "*it mediates, regulates, and controls
relations*", and other forms holistic thinking.  There's plenty of other
good aspects about it, though I'm more interested in other viable approaches
than defending a point of view etc.

Was there anything else that I may have missed in the context of your
original question, Mike?

Huw