Re: [xmca] activity (was concepts)

On 19 April 2011 13:27, Michael Glassman <MGlassman@ehe.osu.edu> wrote:

> Hi Huw,
>
> My worry about seeing activity in terms of cybernetics is that, for the
> most part, cybernetics is a dynamic system and has interesting ideas in
> terms of feeback loops, it is also representatitve of basically a closed
> system (at least that seems to be the way is was discussed at the Sears
> conference, which is one of the reason Bateson may have felt so out of place
> there - well that and the fact that nobody would talk to him.)

I think this is temperamental difficulty.  If you compare Beer and Ashby
they are, at least for me, worlds apart in tone and focus (open/closed).
Yet Beer actively recognised Ashby's genius.

For me, the most encouraging aspect of Bateson, Beer, Halliday, Vygotsky,
and others, is their insistence on holistic (systemic, relational, unitary)
approaches.

I didn't say it was easy (a justifiable worry) only that it seems to work
conceptually.

> All right, all right, I can already hear Andy saying, "What do you mean
> closed system Michael?"
>
> So by closed system I guess I mean that all the players are already there
> in the system, and while they change based on the ways they interact with
> each other and there is a dynamism to the interaction, it does not promote
> or welcome, or particularly know what to do with links out to unexpected
> information sources.

Yes, drawing a delimited boundary around a system: "I conceive of this
system as being uninfluenced by any other dynamics beyond this boundary".  I
think that for anyone who's got their head around mediation they're unlikely
to fall into that trap, although treating a system as closed can be a useful
simplification.

Huw