Re: [xmca] Deb Roy: The birth of a word

Amazing technology and computer work. But keep in mind the old saw Mike likes to repeat about the man looking for his keys not where he dropped them, but under the street lamp - because the light is better. Even with amazing technology like this, researchers will only tend to look where things they expect to be true are visible, audible and quantifiable.

One of many questions, this one about the featured discovery: what happens to children where the adults and/or older children **don't** slow down as the infant learns a new word? Is that really a significant factor?

Besides the vexing ethical and potential legal issues, this kind of study strikes me as fairly expensive, both in hardware and labor, not to mention creative programming. As for legalities, I can just see a prime time law show now ... some 9 year-old twins and their grandparents file a civil suit against the scientist parents ...

Still, the study makes one curious. On the theory side, Vygotsky's ideas could be very helpful in this kind of study, and this kind of study could shed some new light on Vygotsky's theory.

Vygotsky talks about the child not being able to differentiate at first between their impressions of objects and the objects themselves, and between a word and its phonemic structure. These abilities must be acquired, and are great accomplishments. Slowing down one's speech around selected words may help the child focus on making both kinds of differentiation. I got the impression the child was being specifically coached on how to pronounce wa-ter in the final sequences. The applied discovery of two principles, the principle of object-relatedness, that "things have names" and the principle of phonemic imitation, that one can imitate the vocal sounds of others, seem to be two discovery threads that came together when the child finally said "water." Quite the moment.

For a while it seemed as though the child was oscillating between a version of 'gaga' and a version of 'water,' and then finally got the idea that one was preferred - and perhaps that a successful imitation would be rewarded. That was my impression. I wonder if the reward at first was "I get to splash this stuff all around when I say this stupid new word for gaga!" Like Mike, the video raised a lot of intriguing questions for me. For example, what did the next 100 attempts at "water" sound like - did the child keep experimenting with "gaga" or stick only with "water," and did the child use "gaga" and perhaps "water" for other meanings? Vygotsky's analysis, based on empirical evidence at the time from researchers documenting their own infant's first words, would predict the child probably did use that first word for multiple meanings, as a complex. Did the evidence in this study bear Vygotsky's analysis out? Would others like it reveal the use of first words as complexes? And did the pace and merging of these two principles accelerate as the child accumulated more words? I think the scientist said the child had a vocabulary of 503 words at the time he was preparing this report. Did the child appropriate these words more and more quickly? Or, if the pace was uneven, what might be some of the factors involved in the variations? If Vygotsky's identification of these two principles is correct, the child's learning curve should have generally accelerated as the child began to master in a practical way the principles of object relatedness and phonemic imitation. That would be an interesting hypothesis to test. I was glad to hear that the project was specifically interested in the relationship of words to events and objects. There are lots of other Vygotsky- and CHAT-inspired questions that could be asked, including about the roles of different kinds of artifacts, as Mike mentions. Part of what this team of researchers will do will likely depend on where the street lamps are - that is, on what quantities, spatial relations etc. are available to them that they think they can create meaningful statistical data from - and what they think is meaningful in the first place. And perhaps, what kinds of suggestions are made to them, and by whom.

Another area of an entirely different nature that has my curiosity is over how the boy and his younger sister will get along as they get older, and what studies like this might be able to reveal about what influences sibling relations. However, the ethical problems will probably preclude such a study. Should we endorse a 7-year-old and 4- year-old "consenting" to having their playing, fighting etc. videotaped for science hours every day? Should parents have the right to force them to consent - or have the right to consent for them? Up to what age? I am inclined to be opposed to such invasiveness of children on principle, even if the scientific aspect intrigues me. Videotaping consenting adults is another matter. We'll see what universities, courts, etc. do with this one. So - does this mean that we may have to settle for mass statistical analyses of TV shows and internet blogs to try to figure out how people really behave? LOL

- Steve