Re: [xmca] perception/conception etc

David-

I was educated so long ago and so narrowly that sensation/perception/ were
the categories used. It was difficult to include "thinking" or "cognition"
in  academic discussions of relevant phenomena because those concepts were
off the board and for sure, development=learning.

Here is what I got from the oxford english dictionary on percept. Is this
useful to think with about your distinctions!

*a1856* W. HAMILTON<http://dictionary.oed.com/help/bib/oed2-h.html#w-hamilton>
*Lect. Metaphysics* (1860) III. iii. 42 Whether it might not..be proper to
introduce the term percept for the object of perception.
*1880* *19th Cent.* Feb. 355 In any act of perception the matter that is
percept or object is commonly outside the organism of the percipient. *1909*
*Mind* *18* 368 Each object of perception, or each percept..is as such
unitary, exclusive, and unchanging. *1964* M.
CRITCHLEY<http://dictionary.oed.com/help/bib/oed2-c4.html#m-critchley>
*Developmental Dyslexia* xiii. 78 Not only is it a matter of defective
perception, but it is also one of inadequate association of lexical
percepts. *1988* *Brit. Jrnl. Philos. Sci.* *39* 378 It may even be that the
percepts detected by one sense organ are experienced as having the modality
standardly associated with another.

    *2.* The mental product or result of perceiving something (as
distinguished from the action); a way in which something is perceived
mentally.
*1864* F. C. BOWEN<http://dictionary.oed.com/help/bib/oed2-b3.html#f-c-bowen>
*Treat. Logic* 11 A Percept or Intuition is a single representation..a
Concept is a collective (general or universal) representation of a whole
class of things. *1876* H.
MAUDSLEY<http://dictionary.oed.com/help/bib/oed2-m2.html#h-maudsley>
*Physiol. of Mind* v. 273 A percept is the abstract of sensations, so a
concept is the abstract of percepts. *1899* T. C.
ALLBUTT<http://dictionary.oed.com/help/bib/oed2-a.html#t-c-allbutt>et
al.
*Syst. Med.* VII. 399 Word-images as integral components of percepts and
concepts. *1949* *Mind* *58* 450 William James sometimes used the word
‘percept’ to refer to the content of consciousness during perception. *1976*
*Word 1971* *27* 226 Each physical stimulus, after interpretation by the
mental processes, will result in a percept. *1995* F. DRETSKE in R.
Audi *Cambr.
Dict. Philos.* 570/1 This subjective, directly apprehended object has been
called by various names: a sensation, percept, sense-datum, sensum, and
sometimes..*Vorstellung*.

I have recently read LSV on the  Bororo where he clearly states that the law
of participation is thinking in complexes, and in that sense, clearly did
not agree with
Levy-Bruhl. But contemporary accounts of Levy-Bruhl appear to conclude that
Levy-Bruhl did not agree with Levy-Bruhl! To the extent that LSV signs on to
Werner's orthogenetic principle, to the extent that Luria claims that Uzbeki
peasants are unable to think theoretically, there are going to be
controversies.

I have to take some time and go re-read the parts of LSV you point to. If
there is something missing in what we have access to, could you send?

What do others think?
mike