Re: [xmca] FW: AWADmail Issue 380

The President of UC, a lawyer who thinks that the Univ of Texas should be a
model of higher ed, flippantly remarked in the NYTimes a couple of weeks ago
that higher ed was well known to be declining in a manner that indicated it
was of no concern.

What is SO odd a convergence is how many Nobel prize winners this year are
Americans. And not because the Swedes love us.

Is it like my peach tree, which had a prodigious year and then split and two
and died?

Does it explain Singapore?

Thoughtful piece David, thanks
mike

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 2:46 PM, David Preiss <ddpreiss@me.com> wrote:

> Hi Mike and colleagues,
>
> The following op-ed
> http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/09/opinion/09krugman.html
> is relevant to this thread.
> But, different than Krugman, I don´t think that this is just a
> North-American problem.
>
> Same diagnosis can apply to many senior students belonging to the Chilean
> economic elite.
> And I am sure, many people around the globe can report the similar
> pessimism as regards the situation of our / their universities.
>
> So, what is it, is this the decline of educational institutions as a whole?
> An inescapable consequence of mass education?
> If yes, what is the alternative?
>
> David
>

> On Oct 12, 2009, at 10:29 AM, mike cole wrote:
>
>  Sympotmatically disgusting.
>> I now find myself focusing on vocabulary as a regular part of lecture
>> class
>> discusssions with college students, at present
>> seniors, many of whom have vocabularies stunted at the USA Today level.
>> And
>> the way things are going at UC, that may
>> soon be ruled inappropriate, or restricted by courses taught via drop down
>> menu.
>> :-(
>> mike
>>
>> On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 5:58 AM, David H Kirshner <dkirsh@lsu.edu> wrote:
>>
>>  Kinda of makes you want to create a sort of "Amnesty International" for
>>> educators denied freedom of professional expression.
>>> David

>>> from Wordsmith.org, I was told that administration in the building,