Re: [xmca] Learning Sciences / Science of Education

An aspect of this move by machine models of learning, is the material presented in the firt 80 pages of Davydov's book - the kind of thinking which can be fitted into the model of computation is only pre-conceptual thought. The positivist, nominalist and abstract empirical philosophies which underpin this understanding of human behavior reject, or more accurately simply connot understand any qualitative change in moving to thinking and acting in true concepts. So an educational system based on computational models of thinking *obstructs* the road of the child towards genuinely adult thinking and behaviour. They grow up to watch TV, check the boxes on forms, and write cheques to lobbyists for their participation in the social life of the community.

Cultural Psychology will only be on strong ground against this idea when it fights on the basis of learning to think in concepts. Computers (and brains) know words, but not "meaning."

Andy

David H Kirshner wrote:
Thanks, Martin, Emily, and Michael for questions (copied below). I'll try, briefly, to explain my "take" on the Learning Sciences. First, I was wrong. How People Learn doesn't take the production system
as central. The course I'm teaching relies on other authors who do
(e.g., Schools for Thought, by John Bruer). Still, I would argue that
production systems (or other similar computational formalisms) underlie
the learning sciences movement, even though the politics of what one can
claim explicitly is rather dense and convoluted.
Production rules are condition-action pairs specified within a
computational system--i.e., with sufficient clarity and precision that a
serial digital computer can check the condition and execute the action.
Complex architectures of such productions are used to simulate expertise
in a variety of domains. More impressively--this work really is
impressive--some production systems can improve their performance by
refining their own production rules through experience--i.e., learn.
However, expertise always comes down to fluent performance of routine
tasks--i.e., skills. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Production_system)
Probably the best known production system model of learning is the ACT
system of John Anderson. In many books, including "The Atomic Components
of Thought" (Anderson & Lebiere, 1998), Anderson makes it clear that
production rules are, well, the atomic components of thought--completely
central to all cognitive activity.
Doubtless, many will remember Anderson's 1996 attack of situated
cognition in Educational Researcher. Jim Greeno rose to the defense of
situativity theory in a 1997 response, which Anderson and colleagues
vigorously rebutted in the same issue. Finally, Anderson, Greeno, and
co-authors collaborated on a let's-bury-the-hatchet piece focused on
their commonalities of perspective. Somewhere before the final article
of the series, Tony and I contributed a critique of what we saw as the
limitations of the construal of situated cognition operative in that
conversation.
What made Jean Lave's 1988 book have such impact on the learning
sciences community was her devastating critique of cognitivist efforts
to account for transfer. Indeed, it was in the context of that buzz that
Greeno defected from cognitivism to situativity.
Jean's work, as well as that of many others, made it clear that
fundamental change would be needed to account for "context" which, in a
strict cognitivist treatment (e.g., within a production system), has to
be decomposed into discrete symbols that can enter into the cognitive
architecture. So, surely, there was, and continues to be a strand of the
learning sciences that is open to a radical rethinking the nature
cognitive theory. But I think Greeno's reconciliation with Anderson et
al. signals a willingness of many to construe situated cognition as an
effort to shore up cognitivism, rather than to challenge it.
So, move forward a few years and you have Bransford et al., representing
the learning sciences establishment in education, embracing the rhetoric
of situated cognition, and putting forward a "soft" version of cognitive
science that doesn't mention production systems or any other
computational fundamentals. What are we to make of this warm and fuzzy
approach?

For me the answer is that cognitive science is doing what it has to do
to be a dominant force in education without fundamentally changing its
stripes. The main clue is that the only really coherent guidance offered
in How People Learn is toward expertise as fluent performance (see
below). There really is no theorization that I can discern to support
the rhetoric of concept development, scaffolding, metacognition, or
collaborative dispositions. This is a reasonable course of action on the
part of cognitivists. They do have something solid to build on in the
impressive accomplishments of information processing models of
cognitition. They do hope the cognitivist net they are casting can catch
the sorts of expertise educators value. Short of abandoning ship,
there's really no alternative to building up from where you are.
David

__________ How People Learn (p. 49)___________
http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?isbn=0309070368 The issue of retrieving relevant information provides clues about the
nature of usable knowledge. Knowledge must be "conditionalized" in order
to be retrieved when it is needed; otherwise, it remains inert
(Whitehead, 1929). Many designs for curriculum instruction and
assessment practices fail to emphasize the importance of conditionalized
knowledge. For example, texts often present facts and formulas with
little attention to helping students learn the conditions under which
they are most useful. Many assessments measure only propositional
(factual) knowledge and never ask whether students know when, where, and
why to use that knowledge.

Another important characteristic of expertise is the ability to retrieve
relevant knowledge in a manner that is relatively "effortless." This
fluent retrieval does not mean that experts always accomplish tasks in
less time than novices; often they take more time in order to fully
understand a problem. But their ability to retrieve information
effortlessly is extremely important because fluency places fewer demands
on conscious attention, which is limited in capacity (Schneider and
Shiffrin, 1977, 1985). Effortful retrieval, by contrast, places many
demands on a learner's attention: attentional effort is being expended
on remembering instead of learning. Instruction that focuses solely on
accuracy does not necessarily help students develop fluency (e.g., Beck
et al., 1989; Hasselbring et al., 1987; LaBerge and Samuels, 1974).

Anderson, J. R., Greeno, J. G., Reder, L. M., & Simon, H. A. (2000).
Perspectives on learning, thinking, and activity. Educational
Researcher, 29, 11-13.

Anderson, J. R., & Lebiere, C. (Eds.) (1998). The atomic components of
thought. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.

Anderson, J. R., Reder, L. M., & Simon, H. A. (1996). Situated learning
and education. Educational Researcher, 25(4), 5-11.

Anderson, J. R., Reder, L. M., & Simon, H. A. (1997). Situative versus
cognitive perspectives: Form versus substance. Educational Researcher,
26(1), 18-21.

Greeno, J. G. (1997). On claims that answer the wrong question.
Educational Researcher, 26(1), 5-17.

Kirshner, D. & Whitson, J. A. (1998). Obstacles to understanding
cognition as situated. Educational Researcher, 27(8), 22-28.

Lave, J. (1988). Cognition in practice. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge
University Press.

Martin:
Fascinating discussion - but could someone provide me with some clarification of the 'production' model (of schooling? of cognition?) and the formation model (of knowledge? of the learner? Bildung)? And is the claim that learning science is hegemonic with respect to other perspectives (such as Piaget or LSV), or wrt schooling (curriculum)? And 'dissipation' of situative perspectives... In the sense of being dispersed and lost? Seems to me everyone in cog sci is jumping on the situated bandwagon. More co-opted than dissipated?
hanging on to this thread for dear life...

Emily: When you stated:
" So the text is largely a promissory note for how a cognitive science
approach encompasses all of these rich traditions, whereas inspecting
the actual contribution of cognitive science research leads to little
more than an unpacking of how skills develop through repetitive
practice." Is the latter part of the sentence (from 'whereas' on) your comment on the text or on cognitive science in general? In either case, it seems to be a very narrow view on 'all' cognitive
science research. I assume it is based on some works in particular?

Michael Evans: The thread has given me a lot to think about and I'll need to digest
before responding fully - I must say that I'm not getting the exact
reading of this literature as David and Tony, particularly if you move
past Bransford work, which is represented early in the Sawyer edited
handbook...I do agree that there is a degree of re-branding going on,
but I'm naive enough to sense there's a legitimate project going on here
in terms of bringing together several disciplines including cognitive
science - again, the handbook has contributions from educational
psychology, mathematics & science education, computer science, and
educational anthropology...
As I noted previously, what concerned me about the literature was a lack
of deference to the debt many of the authors owe to Vygotsky, much less
so to Piaget...
Again, I appreciate the creation of this thread and hope to contribute
more once I've had a chance to think more about it...