Re: [xmca] Project Based Learning

Thanks Tony. I am familar with Problem Based Learning, as it was officially adopted by the entire Medical Faculty at Melbourne University during my time there, and it has been very successul, in my view. Soon we may have doctors who can talk as well! And there were similar approaches running in a number of different faculties.

The stuff I'm more intrigued with is what I saw only many years ago with "difficult children," or whatever the current euphemism is, where teenagers selected their own project and worked on it all year ...

andy

Tony Whitson wrote:
Andy, I think you'd be interested in

Spectacular Things Happen Along the Way: Lessons from an Urban Classroom (Teaching for Social Justice) by Brian D. Schultz

I think what happens there is "Project Based Learning" in priniple. I would be skeptical of anything by that name presented as some kind of cookbook "method."

Although this is the other PBL, you might be interested in an AERA paper by Eugene Matisov, John St. Julien & myself:
The Quest for “Authenticity” in Problem-Based Learning:
Reflections on PBL in Pre-Service Teacher Education Courses  at
http://www.udel.edu/soe/whitson/curriculum/files/PBL-WhitsonStJulienMatusovAERA2002.htm