Re: [xmca] AERA 2010 CALL FOR PROPOSALS ­ Cultural-Historical Research SIG

Hi Mike and everyone -

My colleague, Ben Kirshner, and I (both at CU Boulder) are very interested in this topic. We have recently gotten a small grant to reorganize our educational psychology courses, which are part of our school's teacher ed program, to include a service-learning component modeled after - to some extent - the 5th D. I became familiar with the 5th D approach when I was a postdoc at UCLA (teaching ED 194 for Kris Gutierrez). We're in the beginnings of developing this approach and think it can be a powerful new way for our prospective teachers to think about learning and teaching. We've taught our newly-revised courses this past "Maymester" and it went well -- deeper student learning seems to have taken place than has ever taken place in my previous versions of the course. We're currently getting ready to collect data on our next iterations of the course (to understand how our students use theory to understand children's/youth's activities, and modify (or not) their views of what counts as learning).

If there's room, we would like to be part of the LCHC effort.
Let me know if you think that would work.

Thanks,
Susan

***
Susan Jurow