Re: [xmca] a minus times a plus

Well I think it's a risky approach because I think it's
fortuitous that you get the right answer. There are only two
possible answers you had a 50-50 chance anyway!

In (-5) the - is firmly adhered to the 5.
I -[(5)*-7] the - applied to the result of the first
multiplication.

Applying the minus to one of the multiplicands is happens to
give the same answer as applying the minus to the product.
The laws of association for sense, i.e. A*(B*C) = (A*B)*C is
a later lesson surely!

Andy
Mike Cole wrote:
Andy-- Until getting back to this exchange, i had made it only as far as:

5* (-7) is (-7 seven times down the line) which seems pretty easy to represent and communicate about. But when we move to (-5) * (-5) I can understand it better myself (hah!) if I rewrite the problem as -[(5)*-7]. So inside the bracket I do what i did in the 5*(-7) example and then treat - as "do the opposite," an operator.

I am sure this is all lousy thinking, but that is how far I have gotten.

mike