[xmca] Re: [UD-PIG] What good for kids seems dangerous for adults

Eugene, Tony, et al.

Firstly, I would like to follow up with the discussion of binaries which I
think is important, and allied items that came up in those notes. But Eugene
and
I can do that off line or when we (finally!) get to see each other, or
whenever. Unless the issues are of import to others who would seek
clarification or
tell us how we are both wrong headed, or whatever. I also want to write
seriously about the issue of youth desired activities and adult sanctioned
activities as these influence our work and general understanding. But this
is also a large issue and will take time and should not be discussed if
of narrow interest. So I would prefer to hear other voices chime in, as has
happened incredibly with the minus/plus math discussion.

(Another version of "what do you all think" rented from Eugene). And a way
of dealing with urgent need to respond to a very large number of student
fieldnotes before morning!!!).

Tony-- Your take on the issue Eugene raised is not what we are talking
about, but not unrelated. To me a really major manifestation of the
phenomenon
you are writing about is that in 1983 Sheila and I could write a text where
Barker and Wright's *One Boy's Day* was relevant, if antique. But you will
not find that empirical example (nor a lot else) in the current version of
that textbook. I rode the streets of LA and climbed around its sewer system
at a kid, and sold papers on a street corner in west LA in the late 40's
when "Midwest" was still a going mid-western town. NO NO NO now. So old
fashioned it might make the current generation titter as they twitter. More
on that later.

I am working and thinking about Sophie's brave efforts to understand -2*6.
The use of multiplication as repeated addition helps, but when I get
to -2*-6 I feel as if I am only part way there and want something like
Jerry's mirror approach. What makes it so strange is that at another level
I have no trouble with the contents of figure 1. Something about
commognition going it seems. Gotta study Ng's pic too.

Now, gotta go back to my local students until I have given them the feedback
they need for this coming week of work/learning/fun. Kotbegmot willing, I
will be back here  with you-all ere too long
mike