Re: [xmca] Corragio!

From: Mike Cole <lchcmike who-is-at gmail.com>
Date: Sat Dec 20 2008 - 09:25:48 PST

That part of our skype conversation is likely to obscure to xmca-ites David.
So a little background and thanks for the encouragement.

David and I, after discussing our intrepretations of the passages in LSV
chapter 5 about goal.task.action.activity.......... talked a little about
xmca
discourse. I repeated something I have said before and which we are trying
to "improve upon" in the xmca facility -- the tendency of the conversations
"slide" sideways, as new features of a topic come up combined with the the
fact that many topics come up, over a period of years, repeatedly, but what
was achieved in terms of explication at time n is no longer remembered at
time n + x. There are some tools to deal with these issues, and David
suggested on, the uses of a concordance program. We will look into it.

But David also raises another issue which we are seeking to address by
adding a straightforward "links" action to LCHC. In just the past week, the
Korean site that David tells about included, we have learned of interesting
sites from Derek, and I tripped over the site at Bath where there was a
discussion recently about Leontiev that was webcast, even, and where members
of XMCA knew it was going on even as we discussed the issues
and no one mentioned it! Like kiddies engaged in parallel play, disguised as
grownup thinking theoretically and engaging in international collaboration.

Perhaps XMCA-ites could help out by sending to xmca varous links they
think would be good to bring together. Seems like ISCAR would be the right
aegis under which to place all of this.

Any ISCAR officials listening in? Any suggestions.

Interesting comment about Sausure and Voloshinov, thanks David.
mike