Re: [xmca] Helena on Negotiating Knowledge

From: Steve Gabosch <stevegabosch who-is-at me.com>
Date: Sat Dec 20 2008 - 07:18:04 PST

Michael, do you have .pdf's handy that you could send out for these
articles?
Also, what is your sense of how many different forms of motivation
there are?

Thanks,
- Steve

On Dec 19, 2008, at 1:41 PM, Wolff-Michael Roth wrote:

> [...]
> analytically separate.
>

> Michael
>

> On 19-Dec-08, at 1:06 PM, Geoff wrote:
>
> At the risk of bringing in the discussion from another topic... I
> don't find the explanation within Helena's paper of motive useful. (!)
>
> I dare say that if the word motive was replaced with use, the paper
> would read just as well, and we'd not be searching for 'motivation'.
>
> I find the Leont'ev example telling:
> 'the same behavior (lifting a tool) could produce a successful or
> unsuccessful therapy depending on what motivated it. An exercise
> performed merely as exercise (gymnastics) would be ineffective; the
> same exercise performed for a purpose that made sense (carpentry)
> would be effective.'
>
> I'd suggest that the 'motive' in this example is actually derived from
> different understandings (furnished by the therapist?) as to what use
> the activity has. As such, motivation is a second order phenomenon, a
> necessary by-product of activity, not its source.
>
> Geoff
>
> 2008/12/19 Andy Blunden <ablunden@mira.net>:
>> Paul,
>>
>> I will not think of responding to the questions about Helena's
>> paper, but
>> just briefly in relation to "need." I just saw for the first time,
>> ANL's
>> footnote to AC&P:
>>
>> "Such restricted understanding of motive as that object (material
>> or ideal)
>> that evokes and directs activity toward itself differs from the
>> generally
>> accepted understanding; but this is not the place to enter into
>> polemics on
>> the question."
>>
>> Yes, of course. I have tended to try to interpret the "object" as a
>> state of
>> affairs or the resolution of a problem. All of which is fine, but I
>> still
>> think it is insufficient.
>>
>> I presume that Leontyev's ideas can be traced back to Marx's
>> comments about
>> human needs, as in the 1844 Manuscripts particularly, though the
>> observations that you quote as well. Also, Engstrom did resolve
>> some of the
>> difficulties in ANL's thinking that I am criticising. What I want
>> to do
>> though is to appropriate Hegel more directly for Activity Theory.
>>
>> Andy
>>
>> Paul Dillon wrote:
>>>
>>> Andy,
>>>
>>> Could you explain to me the difference between "producing
>>> knowledge" as
>>> the object of an activity system, and "learning" as the
>>> transformation of
>>> an activity system (Engestrom's interp. as I understand it). I
>>> have been
>>> trying figure that out in relation to Helena's paper.
>>>
>>> This is also related to the following: What is the difference
>>> Fig. 2 and Fig. 3? Where are the contradictions in the activity
>>> system,
>>> i.e., lev 1 or 2 in terms of Engestrom's model that produce the