Re: [xmca] motive/project

From: Mike Cole <lchcmike who-is-at gmail.com>
Date: Wed Dec 17 2008 - 15:32:52 PST

David and Geoff--- This is one of the times on XMCA where I am having
difficulty reconstructing the flow of the ideas.

Geoff: Does "use" help what problem?
David: I will go directly to read the section of T*S you cite. Uznadze's
ideas
are usually translated as "set" (Russian: Ustanovka). Set = Wurzburgian
idea of "determining tendency."

I am also puzzling over this statement: His criticism is that the "goal" of
a particular experimental task (he has in mind the work of Uznadze) is
identical for the child and for the adult, so the goal/motive cannot explain
the very different ways they conceptualize the task and carry it out.
     1. goal/motive? But I thought they were at different levels of
analysis?
      2. What warrants the claim that the goal/motive (whatever that means)
is
         identical for child and adult?
     3. Especially because they conceptualize the task differently?
The standard definition of a task in American cog sci is "a goal and
constaints on achieving it"). So goal does not equal task, at least from
this perspective.

I am not defending any particular position here, I am just plain puzzled.
Off to read LSV.
mike

What it?