Re: [xmca] Invitation to Second life

From: BRUCE ROBINSON <BRUCE who-is-at BRUCEROB.EU>
Date: Thu Jul 10 2008 - 11:20:22 PDT

This is a great idea. I will aim to be there in the form of my avatar alter
ego who might look a bit out of place at an academic conference and doesn't
look anything like me (younger and more handsome ;).)

Seriously, is anyone doing or does anyone know of CHAT research on Second
Life or similar virtual worlds? I became interested through taking part in a
'virtual strike' organised by trade unions in SL last September and have
written about this experience using Lefevbre's ideas on the production of
space. SL is very interesting in that very direct social interactions are
possible through a medium that is at the same time obviously totally
artificial and that they take place in the ether of cyberspace but at the
same time have a 'face to face' feel. There is also a sense of displacement
from being in two places at once. Multiple levels of mediation by way of an
extremely complex and constantly changing artefact (which has a fascinating
political ecconomy as well).

Bruce R