[xmca] Concept s of Culture & Literacy

From: Cathrene Connery <cconnery who-is-at ithaca.edu>
Date: Thu Jul 10 2008 - 10:17:43 PDT

Hi Colin,
The anti-Catholic laws were, indeed, a systematic attempt to
deculturalize, marginalize, and further oppress the Irish. Like too many
racist, sexist, lingucist, and bigoted policies today,they were cloaked
under a false cape by clerics and the academy.

As my Tanzanian colleague Elinimi Swai pointed out, as scholars associated
with cultural-historical activity, it is important we have a clear
understanding of our definition of "culture". Across time, the
consequences of an unexamined definition have been used to legitimize
individual and collective instances of abuse, slavery, and war.
Stetsenko's work is a great resource for those interested in the
philosophical positioning of CHAT.

Other CHAT scholars like Cole, Scribner, and John-Steiner have shed light
on the fact that our concepts of culture and literacy are too small.
Thanks for clarifying your position.

Cathrene

 Cathrene,