Re: [xmca] Engeström's theory of expansive learning, views appreciated!

From: Mike Cole <lchcmike who-is-at gmail.com>
Date: Sun Jan 20 2008 - 21:02:49 PST

Dima-- There is a lot packed into your note including, crucially, the idea
that a lot of people on XMCA have read the article you refer to. I am
guessing this is an incorrect presupposition.
So, to start with, you might provide a reference to the article.

I do know something about Yrjo Engestrom's intervention studies and in so
far as I understand the following statement/question, I think the answer is
"no" or at least it is not necessarily
true depending upon the participation structure of those involved. You
wrote:

Doesn't intervention relegate the role of the less powerfully-positioned
researchers? Does it not also define the participants as those who are
enabled to act, e.g. 'a head physician' or 'a manager'?

I am really uncertain what you mean in the first question, by the phrase
"relegate the role of the less-powerfully positioned researchers." I do not
believe that the method requires that the participants be head physicians or
managers. This is not the case in some of the research examples with which I
am familiar, but perhaps because I am not familiar enough.

mike.