Re: [xmca] Learning How to Learn

From: MARK DE BOER <mark who-is-at ias-group.com>
Date: Thu Jul 12 2007 - 16:25:16 PDT

Bella,

I'd be interested to know more about this. I am working on my MA
thesis which is in the area of Second Language Learning all based
upon these concepts of metacognition, learner autonomy, microgenesis.
My research involves linking teaching methodology to Vygotsky. I
attempted to add mathetics into the equation for one paper, but it
was turned down, but I think it is a very important aspect for SLA,
especially with children and I will discuss it in my thesis paper.
Kumaravadivelu's book Beyond Methods, as much as others found it 'not
new' it has a basis for this kind of thinking. Currently I am working
on a paper that looks at Sinclair and Coulthard's Discourse analysis
model and revising it to fit a type of lesson which involves
scaffolding and collaborative learning, completely different than the
traditional IRF sequences. Kumaravadivelu points this out in his book
on pages 115-119. It may not be new to some, but it is new to the
TEFL/TESL world here in Japan.

I look forward to knowing more about this Russian book of yours. I
wonder if it is similar to Ohta's book on Second Language Acquisition
Process in the Classroom -Learning Japanese. (2001) Lawrence Erlbaum
Associates, New Jersey.

Mark