RE: [xmca] Dewey and Prolepsis

From: Michael Glassman <MGlassman who-is-at ehe.ohio-state.edu>
Date: Mon Apr 30 2007 - 11:38:57 PDT

Yeah, one of the difficulties I have is not objectifying inquiry itself, which really doesn't exist outside of the attempt to find a solution to the problem. And yet Dewey lays out the process of inquiry in a step by step process. By fact are you talking about the empirical fact that comes after the process of inquiry (and can we equate process of inquiry with the method of knowing) as a solution - so that solution and fact occur simultaneously? Fact then reflects back on the problem, and only exists as fact in reference to that specific problem (but really how could it be any way). There are those who claim that because Dewey claimed you could find empirical facts in solutions to problems that there was a knowledge - I don't think I agree with that. I think I agree more with what Armando said to a point, but instead of the object of activity being defined by the subject of activity it is defined by the problem of activity (or perhaps this is what he meant by subject of activity).

What I do think though is that Dewey always saw action as forward looking. It was always about the next problem and not about the last problem.

Michael