Re: [xmca] Another Textological Question

From: Anton Yasnitsky <the_yasya who-is-at yahoo.com>
Date: Sat Apr 28 2007 - 20:16:43 PDT

Clarifications and important distinctions re V.
V. Ivanov:

I believe, there are at least (!) two discitnct
individuals under the name of V. V. Ivanov
involved in this story. "Koma" Ivanov is the son,
whereas I would doubt that his father would have
the same nick name (cf.
http://www.google.ca/search?q=%22%D0%9A%D0%BE%D0%BC%D0%B0+%D0%98%D0%B2%D0%B0%D0%BD%D0%BE%D0%B2%22
). Thus:

1. V. V. Ivanov-pere:
Vsevolod Vyacheslavovich Ivanov - a notable
Soviet writer, "the novelist", etc. (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vsevolod_Ivanov )

2. V. V. Ivanov-fils:
Vyacheslav Vsevolodovich Ivanov - a prominent
Soviet/Russian philologist linguisit; major
contributions in the fields of historical and
compratative Indo-European linguistics, semiotics
(Tartu-Moscow Semiotic School) and mathematical
linguistics. His poetry was first published in
1981, also published memoirs (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vyacheslav_Vsevolodovich_Ivanov
). As to Vygotsky, his "psychology of Art" was
first published in 1965 (second edition - 1968),
in the Soviet Union (Iskusstvo publishing), in
the original (i.e. in Russian). The editor of the
volume was V. V. "Koma" Ivanov; with Introductory
article by A. N. Leontiev and roughly 60 pages of
Commentaries by Vygotsky himslef and the editor
of the volume. So, quite understandably, he later
referred to that as "Koma"-ntaries (I guess, this
was "Komantarii").

Hope this helps.

Finally. Chukovsky's anti-semitism??? Perhaps,
ant-anti-semitism, given what he did and wrote?!
I am a bit confused and wondering where this
immature (I should have said - absurd and
ridiculous!) conclusion comes from. Also, the
whole issue of the LSV-Chukovsky interrelations
is, imho, totally misunderstood and misconstrued
(
http://lchc.ucsd.edu/MCA/Mail/xmcamail.2006_11.dir/0078.html
), from LSV's critique of Chukovsky to
Chukovsky's hypothetical critique of the "Kharkov
school"...

In this context, I would suggest a nice reading:
a piece of writing that originated within the
national-patriotic camp in the contemporary
Russia where Chukovsky is criticized exactly for
his anti-anti-semtism (
http://www.duel.ru/199620/?20_7_1 ). It is
available in Russian only, though...

Any thoughts?..