Re: [xmca] Does Power Really Flow From the Mouth of a Teacher?

From: David H Kirshner (dkirsh@lsu.edu)
Date: Mon Oct 30 2006 - 23:36:11 PST

David (Kellogg), thanks for your reflection on my "crossdisciplinary" talk
at Korea University in company with Candlin's Foucauldian analysis of power
relations in the classroom. Your suggestion in the coffee shop afterwards
that my approach somehow privileges the enculturational learning metaphor
above the habituationist (skills) and construction (concepts) metaphors
struck me at the time as a bizarre rejection of my explicit neutrality
toward the metaphors. But your response in this thread, aided and abetted
by Barbara's and Jay's discussions, suggests to me how my framing of
pedagogy violates certain taken-as-shared assumptions of our community.

To begin, there are certain quarters (I'll look up the references later, if
anyone is interested) in which talk of "the learner" is abhorrent because
it denies the full open-ended humanity of the student, crowding her or him
into some sort of technocratic and bureaucratic cage. Though we haven't
(yet) adopted this lexical convention, I think this community of discourse
is sympathetic to this critique. The discussion of Foucauldian power
relations operating in the classroom is trying to get at the common
frameworks within which teacher and student are coparticipants. So,
analytically, the student (them) and teacher (us) are jointly conceived,
with the student accorded the full measure of complexity accorded the
teacher.

My crossdisciplinary approach is not oriented toward that purpose. I use
"the learner" in precise and technically delimited ways according to 3
distinct metaphorical interpretations of learning--rather like Piaget's
"epistemic child," but with schizophrenia. My goal is to articulate
technical practices of "good teaching" understood as teaching that supports
learning. To achieve this goal, I refract the holistic image of learning
that motivates current pedagogical theorizing into distinct subspecies,
articulating separate and distinct pedagogical methods for each. Thus "good
teaching" becomes a choice of methods, depending on the specific notion of
learning one seeks to support. The "whole child" is not to be found
anywhere in this approach. Even the teacher who seeks to coordinate various
of these prescribed pedagogical methods in a single lesson is not
addressing the whole child, only the various separate learning mechanisms
deemed to reside within the child.

What motivates this agenda is my recognition that despite our sophisticated
dialectical analyses, our basic intuitions about learning remain grounded
in the distinct metaphorical interpretations. Psychology is yet a
preparadigmatic science. Scholars in various schools of thought (e.g.,
behavioral, cognitive, developmental, social) continue to pursue distinct
visions of learning, I believe in ways that collectively characterize our
cultural commonsense about learning. I choose to accept this fragmented
reality about learning, opting for clarity at the level of pedagogical
prescription ahead of the romantic, but fuzzy, ideal of teaching to the
"whole child."

David Kirshner

                      Jay Lemke
                      <jaylemke who-is-at umich.e To: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity"
                      du> <xmca@weber.ucsd.edu>
                      Sent by: cc: (bcc: David H Kirshner/dkirsh/LSU)
                      xmca-bounces who-is-at webe Subject: Re: [xmca] Does Power Really Flow From the Mouth
                      r.ucsd.edu of a Teacher?

                      10/30/2006 06:33
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      "eXtended Mind,
                      Culture,
                      Activity"

Power is a tricksy notion, isn't it? I generally agree with Barbara's
precis of Foucault on power and identity, though I think he did
rather a better job with the Discourses than with the discourse
construction ... though he did maintain, as too few who do discourse
analysis do, the view that even discourse (big and little D/d ala Jim
Gee here of course) was more than a matter of talk, it was more, as
in Bakhtin, a matter of doing-with-discourse in a situation-type and
as part of the exercise of what we'd call cultural practices. F.
really figured out, first I think, just how the macro-social
functions of Discourses condition what we actually get to say in our
discourse.

But for the most part he seems to have been trying to get people to
NOT see power as inherent in micro-social interactions, where we get
rather the effects of more macrosocial power relations, or relations
we wouldn't even call "power" as such (e.g. institutional
reproduction or self-maintenance).

So I might agree with Chris that teachers are not really able to go
very far in altering the power effects in their classrooms, however
well-intentioned, and indeed whatever they say and do. (If that's
what Chris said.) One way that these effects might be altered is by
breaking the institutional frame (think Basil Bernstein here on
strong classification/framing, too) and hybridizing the classroom
modes and agendas and conventions (culture?) with that of something
outside it (I happen to find popular culture and youth culture an
interesting subversive opportunity here). After more than 30 years in
the field of Education, I'm pretty well convinced that the core
organizational and cultural forms of schooling are dysfunctional and
not reformable. They need to be replaced.

Much as I admire David Kirschner's work (are you around xmca these
days, David?), and I do agree in many ways that the culture of a
classroom is more important, and more complex to characterize, than
simple notions of learner- or teacher-centered discourse forms, I'm
skeptical just how far classroom activity can be "learner centered"
in any true sense. Did this get defined? It can mean pretty much
anything from centered on the learner, like a target in the
crosshairs, to paying enough personal attention to students to keep
them more happily engaged in the state's curriculum agenda, to more
systematically assessing on the fly where their thinking is headed
and scaffolding it in a desired (by whom?) direction -- but not very
often does it mean that we recognize students' right to decide what
they want to learn, when, how, and from whom.

Bizarre as it sounds, that's where we started a few hundred years
ago, when it was called Lernfreiheit and was the original meaning of
"academic freedom" before faculty got more "power" in education and
coopted it with our Lehrfreiheit. Of course in those days, Foucault
would tell us, the macro-social functions and connections of
education with other institutions were very, very different. If
culture is what matters to how classrooms work and how the people in
them relate and behave, perhaps we need to remember that "culture" is
something that changes on the historical timescale?

Provided we keep kicking its butt.

JAY.

Jay Lemke
Professor