Re: funny video on integrity in science teaching RE: [xmca] Funny, it hurts.

From: bb (xmca-whoever@comcast.net)
Date: Tue Sep 05 2006 - 11:05:29 PDT

From: "Tony Whitson" <twhitson@udel.edu>
> thanks, bb

> If you
> know of any blogs or wikis that would be of interest to my students, I would
> love to hear from you -- especially if you know of blogs or wikis created by
> k-8 classes that include social studies.

Interesting - Blogs have been part of the content for an "emerging technologies" course that I sometimes teach. In our program, I fly around the country and my classroom is usually a computer lab in a school somewhere. Here's what I've found -- almost all of school district filters ,in sites where I teach, prevent access to most blogs (and quite a few wikis).

Here's what the secure computing says about why Bess blocks blogs:

"Personal Pages (pp)
This category includes personal home pages that share a common domain such as those hosted by ISPs, University/Education servers, Free Web Page hosts, etc. Blogging sites are also included. Personal home pages present a risk to viewers because content ranges from harmless to offensive, yet these pages are not highly trafficked, making them difficult to categorize and provide coverage for each personal page."