RE: [xmca] Luria's romantic psychology

From: Peg Griffin (Peg.Griffin@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Tue Mar 28 2006 - 09:33:25 PST

Ah, and for early-program doctoral students, it can be frustrating to be
getting familiar with a term in a theoretical context but then have to deal
with the consequences using words promoted by the immediate context of the
article and its audience. I am thinking of Hatano and Inagaki's use of
"romantic" as opposed to "social" when considering constructionism in "Early
Childhood Mathematics in Japan" (J. Copley ed. Mathematics and the Early
Years -- NCTM and NAEYC 1999).
In my mind's eye I can see Hatano appreciating the Luria use of "romantic"
and I can also see him choosing to use it differently given a need to
address an audience who have dealt with children in a blossoming
metaphor--as in kindergarten.
Peg G.