Re: SV: [xmca] Test (and some play and games)

From: Ana Marjanovic-Shane (ana@zmajcenter.org)
Date: Wed Feb 08 2006 - 07:39:08 PST

Patrik,
Welcome to the list. As with every ongoing stream of conversation, you
missed as much as all of us missed. But, fortunately all the
conversations are archived on the server and you can always go and
search the archives at: http://communication.ucsd.edu/MCA/Mail/index.html
There are people who think that play and games are not only a flight
from the hard life, that they are not just a frivolous pastime, but more
than that. One of the more intensive discussions on play in the recent
times was held last April (archive at:
http://communication.ucsd.edu/MCA/Mail/xmcamail.2005_04.dir/index.html)

Tell us more about your studies of games in education. It would be
interesting to hear your point of view.
Ana

Patrik Bergman wrote:
> Since I am completely new to the list, I have probably missed all the highly
> interesting discussions on the role of play and games for the development of
> our minds and souls, but if someone here has any great insight they are
> willing to share, I am all ears.
>
> What I have found somewhat confusing/lacking is that most theorists talk
> only about the role of play when we are kids (in relation to zpd, etc.), but
> what I wonder is what happens to play and games when we are grown ups. I
> truly believe play and games can have a substantial role in the lives of
> people today. As the highly materialistic and modernized world (or
> post-modern, post-post modern, etc.) asks a higher price of us for each
> year, more and more people play online games. Is this only to flee the
> thought that life is a veil of tears and nothing more, or is there also
> something else to it? Something more substantial, something that actually
> contributes to the lives of adult humans today?
>
> As stated, it might be that I have missed all the wonderful writings on the
> role of play and games in adult's lives from a sociocultural viewpoint, and
> then I am sorry for this. Otherwise, it would be interesting to hear what
> you have to say.
>
> Patrik Bergman
> PhD student in games and education

Ana Marjanovic'-Shane,Ph.D.