RE: Self-Determination theory versus SCT and AT

From: del Valle, Rodrigo Tomas (rdelvall@indiana.edu)
Date: Fri Feb 04 2005 - 13:40:19 PST

Hi,

I am Rodrigo, from Chile, but currently working in my PhD in education
at Indiana University... I have been silently participating and enjoying
this list for several months now, but haven't posted much... Although I
don't know much about SDT the contextual approaches learners take while
working online is one of my research interests, and I am struggling with
a similar tension, so here I go :-)

It seems to me that quite often what happens in e-learning is that the
learner is essentially working by himself, of course situated in a
specific learning context, culture, probably with other learners or at
least a facilitator, etc, but in the absence of a "campus" or classroom
other contexts such as work, family, personal needs, etc. could affect
how learners self regulate their learning more than in a face to face
environment... In fact those that choose online learning probably do it
because that personal context does not allow him to learn in a face to
face environment.

High dropout rates in online learning suggest that the learning demands
that come with the freedom and flexibility of online learning challenge
individuals to manage their time and the learning process in a unique
way... Usually students must keep the learning demands in the foreground
as they manage their work and home life, there is no fixed time to be in
class or other cues to say, "time to learn"... In this sense I do think
that in the context of online learning, theories that are more focused
on the individual, such as SDT, can illuminate an activity analysis
approach and vice versa.

Rodrigo
Rodrigo del Valle - rdelvall@indiana.edu
IST Doctoral Student
Center for Research on Learning and Technology
LTTS Staff http://ltts.indiana.edu
School of Education
Indiana University
www.iub.edu