Self-Determination theory versus SCT and AT

From: George (researcher@SAFe-mail.net)
Date: Fri Feb 04 2005 - 11:14:16 PST

Dear all,

I have recently come across self-determination theory (SDT; cf. [1])
and am wondering about your opinion of how you think if we can collate
SDT with socio-cultural theory and systemic-structural activity theory
(SSTA)? or, does SDT contradict with SCT and SSTA? I am presently
working on a paper on e-Learning where I am pointing out that we need a
paradigm shift to think in terms of a "Weltanstauung" (whole world
view) . the origin of my opinion stems from the difficulties of
learning and teaching activities (cf. [2]) and liaises with descriptive
and prescriptive systems. Hence, on this ground, I believe that
activity theory opens a range of new perspectives because it contains
motivational assets of learning and teaching. But, since I am not
familiar with SDT, I would appreciate to hear your critical opinion.
Thank you very much.

George
(Hansjoerg von Brevern)

Reference:

[1] E. L. Deci and R. M. Ryan, "The “What” and “Why” of Goal Pursuits:
Human Needs and the Self-Determination of Behavior", Psychological
Inquiry, 11 (2000) 4, pp. 227–268.

[2] H. Giest and J. Lompscher, "Formation of Learning Activity and
Theoretical Thinking in Science Teaching", in Vyogotsky's Educational
Theory in Cultural Context, Learning in Doing: Social, Cognitive, and
Computational Perspectives, A. Kozulin, B. Gindis, V. Ageyev, and S. M.
Miller (Eds.). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2003, pp.
267-288.

Research in e-Learning Objects, e-Learning meta data standards,
didactical activity, Systemic-Structural Activity Theory, and
Socio-cultural Theory