Re: Self-Determination theory versus SCT and AT

From: George (researcher@SAFe-mail.net)
Date: Fri Feb 04 2005 - 18:10:08 PST

Hello Rodrigo

thank you for your posting! Yes, I feel the same. I like your
challenge. What do you think of Gal'perin's stage-by-stage formation,
Landa's algo-heuristic theory of learning and instruction, and Bedny's
self-regulation theory of learning in comparison with SDT? I myself
simply don't know when contrasting the former three theories with SDT.
So, I am interested in your opinion.

cheers and best regards,
George

On Feb 4, 2005, at 10:40 PM, del Valle, Rodrigo Tomas wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am Rodrigo, from Chile, but currently working in my PhD in education
> at Indiana University... I have been silently participating and
> enjoying
> this list for several months now, but haven't posted much... Although
> don't know much about SDT the contextual approaches learners take while
> working online is one of my research interests, and I am struggling
> with
> a similar tension, so here I go :-)
>
> It seems to me that quite often what happens in e-learning is that the
> learner is essentially working by himself, of course situated in a
> specific learning context, culture, probably with other learners or at
> least a facilitator, etc, but in the absence of a "campus" or classroom
> other contexts such as work, family, personal needs, etc. could affect
> how learners self regulate their learning more than in a face to face
> environment... In fact those that choose online learning probably do it
> because that personal context does not allow him to learn in a face to
> face environment.
>
> High dropout rates in online learning suggest that the learning demands
> that come with the freedom and flexibility of online learning challenge
> individuals to manage their time and the learning process in a unique
> way... Usually students must keep the learning demands in the
> foreground
> as they manage their work and home life, there is no fixed time to be
> in
> class or other cues to say, "time to learn"... In this sense I do think
> that in the context of online learning, theories that are more focused
> on the individual, such as SDT, can illuminate an activity analysis
> approach and vice versa.
>
> Rodrigo
> ====================
> Rodrigo del Valle - rdelvall@indiana.edu
> IST Doctoral Student
> Center for Research on Learning and Technology
> LTTS Staff http://ltts.indiana.edu
> School of Education
> Indiana University
> www.iub.edu