Re: re comments on my Rethinking labor process theory

From: Andy Blunden (ablunden@mira.net)
Date: Sun Jan 25 2004 - 15:15:30 PST

Could I jut share a parallel experience. Though Australian by birth, I went
through this period as a negotiator for ASTMS representing technicians at
North-East London Poly, alongside NALGO representing the admin staff. We
took the line that new technology was our trade so we were not demanding
anything in return for introducing new technology; NALGO on the other hand
were hanging out for all sorts of concessions before agreeing to
introducing "word processors" (remember them!) into the offices. In the
meantime, all these machines were in their boxes locked up in cupboards.
Over time, the NALGO members simply broke open the boxes, set up the
machines, taught themselves and got on with it without any special benefits
and without telling their union reps (who were of course not listening
anyway!). In the end NALGO got nothing for their members because their
members were looking out for their lifestyle and future and not waiting for
any agreement. Those who didn't were eventually made redundant.

Andy