These files are maintained strictly for historical reference, research, and recordkeeping purposes, and the content has not been altered or updated since archiving. Content on this site may not meet current digital accessibility standards. If you require an alternative, accessible format of any information found on this site, please contact Bruce Jones, bjones@ucsd.edu to request an accommodation.

These files are maintained strictly for historical reference, research, and recordkeeping purposes, and the content has not been altered or updated since archiving. Content on this site may not meet current digital accessibility standards. If you require an alternative, accessible format of any information found on this site, please contact Bruce Jones, bjones@ucsd.edu to request an accommodation.


[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [xmca] Consciousness, Piaget



Whoa!! total agreement. And I Looooove unicorns.
My initial question was something like Martin's. "Tony, what does it mean
(for Peirce) to be 'aware of signs AS signs." Sounds a lot like thing in
itself.

In my classes, i ask students if they have ever seen a unicorn.  No one
ventures a yes. Then I ask them, are unicorns good or bad? They mostly all
raise their hands and say that they are good. Then we get into a good
discussion. Sounds like I have intuited myself toward what you two are
agreeing about.
mike

On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 6:51 PM, Martin Packer <packer@duq.edu> wrote:

> I completely agree
>
>
> On Sep 21, 2009, at 7:54 PM, Tony Whitson wrote:
>
>  On Mon, 21 Sep 2009, Martin Packer wrote:
>>
>>  I've tried to stay out of this thread, because it's a difficult topic and
>>> I'm no philosopher (though I can't seem to put their damned books down!).
>>> But my 2 cents, for what they'll buy, are that one needs to begin with an
>>> acknowledgement that Cs is, as I said in my last message, relational. I
>>> don't mean by this that it is a relationship between mind and matter, I mean
>>> that Cs is a relationship between matter and matter. I think we'd all agree
>>> that Cs is a property, an aspect, only of living organisms. I completely
>>> agreed with your earlier post, Andy, that Cs is not simply present or absent
>>> but is a matter of degree or type. My favorite Hegel is the phenomenology,
>>> which is a story about the education of Cs over time. So not all living
>>> organisms have the same kind of Cs, and humans don't all have the same kind,
>>> of have one kind all their lives. Cs develops. But it is always to be found
>>> in interaction between organisms (material) and other material stuff.
>>>
>>>
>> It seems to me that it might help a lot to think of consciousness not as a
>> property or aspect, but as an activity. It is certainly a relational,
>> material (with formal) activity, in relation to other activities in
>> ourselves and in our world.
>> _______________________________________________
>> xmca mailing list
>> xmca@weber.ucsd.edu
>> http://dss.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca
>>
>
> _______________________________________________
> xmca mailing list
> xmca@weber.ucsd.edu
> http://dss.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca
>
_______________________________________________
xmca mailing list
xmca@weber.ucsd.edu
http://dss.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca