RE: [xmca] What new and interesting?

From: Duvall, Emily <emily who-is-at uidaho.edu>
Date: Mon Mar 31 2008 - 08:33:30 PDT

Just to clarify... under NCLB there are 10 'subgroups', not only
race-based, but poverty (free lunch based), migrant status limited
English proficiency and disability (per IDEA rather than ADA).
Furthermore, the decision as to the size of a subgroup is lead by each
state now. Size counts as a cut-off for being included in the
statistics.. So, say, 30 could mean that a school with a subgroup of 30
or less children who qualify as a subgroup - well their scores would not
be counted for AYP (adequate yearly progress of schools) - the big
marker under NCLB.

Some of my work concerns the transformation of state mandated,
standardized tests of reading/writing for elementary children with
learning disabilities into dynamic assessments of learning (actually
Dynamic Standards of Learning assessment). There are some of us in DA
who are interested in the transformation of such 'high stakes' tests
(including second language assessment) and are using work of Feuerstein,
but also the work of Brown, Ferrera, Campione, consideration of Guthke,
Budoff, Haywood, Lidz, Sternberg, Grigorenko, etc.

At any rate, I would offer that it is not always about tools, but the
constructs being 'measured'. My work builds on the notion that state
tests measure reading-test reading and writing-test writing rather than
reading and writing from aesthetic or even efferent stances. This, in
turn, argues a critical policy approach as we consider the consequential
validity of NCLB.
I'm hoping to present papers on both these topics at ISCAR and NCTE this
year... :-)

~ Em